We’re all thankful to have the people we care about around us this Thanksgiving — especially our sweet little children! If you’re traveling to see out-of-town friends or family this holiday, you might be worried about all the stress that comes along when you travel with your little ones. Let us take away some of your worry with these expert tips for families on the go this holiday season.
Before You Go
Get the kids involved in preparing for the trip. Have you discovered the magic that happens when you get your little ones to help you grow or prepare healthy food? When kiddos feel the responsibility and pride in say, chopping veggies for a salad, they are much more likely to want to help eat the meal as well. Keep this philosophy in mind when you work with your kids to:
- Choose an outfit to pack for each day of the trip.
- Pick out a few small toys to keep in a carry-on or within arm’s reach.
- Select a host/hostess gift to give to the children of family or friends you’re visiting. Check out our popular girls’ gift sets for ideas. See our collections at the bottom of the page!
- Decide on a few movies to download and watch on the trip. We like “The Secret Life of Pets,” “Finding Dory,” and “Frozen” — all movies that highlight friendship and gratitude, so they're perfect choices for the holiday.
On the Road or in the Air
Giving kids something fun to do while traveling can help keep everyone entertained and happy. Pack a small bag of toys and treats — special things they don’t normally get to have — and it feel like the real holiday! Use your treat bag to reward good behavior, or even to break up travel time into manageable pieces. For instance, you can say that at the end of each well-behaved hour, you will pull out a new surprise to play with. It’s also a good idea to pair the characters or theme of your treats with the movies they decided to watch on the trip. We like toys and treats that do double-duty during travel:
- This “Trolls” lip-gloss and finger puppet set is useful for keeping little lips moisturized during air travel while also letting kids rock out with four light-up finger puppets based on characters from the movie.
- This “Secret Life of Pets” hand sanitizer pack comes in four yummy scents, each with a favorite character from the movie. The cute pink travel holder allows your daughter to have fun with a fashion accessory while also keeping germs from a public plane, train or automobile at bay.
- This “Finding Dory” cosmetics and hair set comes complete with so many of the things little girls need to look and feel good on the go. It also comes with a sparkly, adorable “Finding Dory” carrying bag to keep all the goodies together in one spot for travel.
This Thanksgiving season, there’s nothing more important than spending time with the ones you love. Maybe this year, “a cool mom” will be on the top of your kids’ list of what they’re thankful for!